Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Random thoughts...be warned! It will be long and might have some errors in it...

So it is funny to me that as I begin on this journey of home schooling Dale, and Merideth for that matter, I am met with defeat. Some days I just get all warm and excited just thinking about what all I am going to teach them. How he will be reading by August and how he will do long division by December. Then reality hits me...#1 I have to actually do the lessons with him and #2 it is REALLY hard to home school. Some people make it seem so easy. Not that I don't see them struggle some. I wonder if there is frustration when their kid doesn't know the difference between a long o in boot and a short o in log. (don't correct me here if I am calling it the wrong thing, they sound different OK!) So I have come to the conclusion that I DO NOT need to compare myself or my kids, I should have had a V8 moment I know, and he will learn at his pace...(when I do the lessons)...which is the beauty of home schooling in the first place. I have just finished a great book "A Mom Just Like You", Vickie Farris wrote it. This book was great, freeing and WONDERFUL. I really recommend it. Some of the things I got from it are:

This is just a season...press on! Keep in mind that right now my priority is to raise Dale and Merideth, to teach them, train them, and love them. These verses help me to decide what "extra" stuff we can do...really makes me think before I say yes, or no, to anything.
Psalm 90:12, 16-17
(12)"So teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom;
(16)let your work be shown to your servants, and your glorious power to their children,
(17)let the favor of the Lord our God be upon us, and establish the work of our hands upon us; yes establish the work of our hands!"

Die to self
John 12 :24
"Truly truly I say to you unless a grain of wheat falls onto the earth and dies it BEARS MUCH FRUIT."
My death to my own "self fulfillment" can bear more than I would have alone. I am not the grower, GOD IS, I am the sower! GOD GIVES THE INCREASE.

AND
Press on Keep on
Galatians 6:9
"And let us not lose heart in doing good for in due time we shall reap if we do not grow weary."

Okay so there it is...me...out there...BTW thanks friend for the advice today on blending!

Love, E

1 comment:

z said...

Girl - you are the best and it will all work out! Relax, take it a day at a time and we'll work together to make sure we keep our focus on God and our goals long-term! (((HUGS))) You are great - don't forget it!!