Monday, May 19, 2008

So today the kids and I went to the mall to get Dale some new clothes. He grew overnight literally! Remember when our kids were babies and you would go in a get them after a night of sleep and they would have grown, well Dale did that. From one week he grew out of his church pants. Anyway I digressed from my purpose of writing today...

After shopping we went to the McDonald's drive thru. I got the kids a happy meal. While we were eating them Dale says he is going to give his cookies that came in it to Merideth. I thought, How Sweet...Well Dale had a motive. He decided that since he didn't have a dessert anymore he needed/deserved another one...he said it would be fine if I gave him an ice cream sandwich. So here is my problem, and the story goes on so stay with me, he gave her the cookies, not out of a giving be sweet motive but out of a self serving one so that he could get something better for himself. Okay so on with the other part...I told him NO about the ice cream. I told him NO because I had something better, for both of them. WELL...he got MAD and marched off towards his room whining and complaining about how he never gets anything good. Well I told him to come back. I showed him the cake...His eyes got big...I told him that because he ran off before I could finish telling him why I had said no to the ice cream he had made it where his attitude/his will got in the way of the cake. So now he was not getting anything...Here is the run down...Dale tried to give to Merideth something sorta okay so he could get something good but missed out of the great. He had his OWN agenda. I wonder how many many many times we, I, miss out on the cake God/Jesus has for me!! Oh and don't worry grandparents after WE ALL have a good nap he will get his cake! Oh and Merideth had the cookies and THE CAKE!

Love all, E

1 comment:

Kate said...

So true! It's also funny how we all feel entitled to things we don't deserve! It's obvious in situations like Dale's..when we do something good and expect to receive something good. But, we also become prideful when we are "down" on ourselves--when we say things like I am saying to myself right now, "I am so ugly and fat I need a makeover." What I am really saying is, "I am so ugly and fat right now and I DESERVE to be perfect." If I really sat down and pondered what I deserve, it certainly wouldn't be to look good. In fact, I'd take ugly over God's wrath any day! We deserve hell and have been given mercy to be with Jesus...everything else is just a bonus. Thanks for sharing your story!! It's challenging!